Video interviews are becoming increasingly popular and will likely continue to be utilized even as the rate of Covid-19 declines in our communities.
Whether digitally or in person, it is always important to put your best foot forward! This two-part guide will help you master the Video Interview, compiling the best tips we have developed over the past few months.
Video interviews have many benefits! In addition to its main goal of maintaining social distance, in many cases, interviewing digitally allows for the hiring process to be expedited. This means employers and employees can achieve their employment goals at an even faster rate! Additionally, video interviews cut back on traffic and save the hassle of navigating public transportation, which both shave down our fossil fuel emissions and minimize travel time in our scheduling.
TIPS FOR SUCCESS
- DO dress nicely – Professional and Clean is always the way to go. Even though you are comfortable at home, your outfit should not reflect it.
- DO research the company – Make your interview count by asking detailed questions. At the very least, google the company and visit their website.
- DO troubleshoot technical issues – Test your monitor and audio to make sure the equipment is ready to go! We recommend simple headphones to improve your audio quality. Our recruiters are available with notice to perform a test call to ensure you are good to go.
- DO be prepared at least five minutes before your interview – Be in the digital waiting room at least five minutes before your interview to communicate you are serious about and prepared for this opportunity.
- DO keep in mind your Background + Lighting – Use a plain wall and decent lighting to improve the image quality of the call!
- DO be free of distractions – Ensure all background noise is silenced and try to Maintain Eye Contact!
- DON’T use your phone – You should never use your phone in an interview, but if you need to use your phone to video chat then prop it up and do not move it around during the interview.
- DON’T drink any beverages – Water is the exception, but other drinks can often be distracting and seem too casual.
- DO send a thank you follow up – A quick email to your recruiter or prospective company can showcase your attention-to-detail and add a personal touch.
- DO try to be positive! The world can be overwhelming right now, but an extra dash of positivity goes a long way!
Are you ready to take the plunge? Here are your next steps!
HOW OUR PROCESS WORKS
- Explore our Job Board at www.emeraldstaffing.com/work
- APPLY to a job that looks appealing OR submit a General Application to be updated on any new opportunities available. We get new job orders weekly!
- We will review your application within 1 business day and you will receive a call to schedule an interview with one of our recruiters!
Our recruiters will then work closely with you and our extensive client base to find the perfect fit!
For any additional questions, please give us a call directly at 503.212.0000.