Hiring managers and recruiters often know within seconds if a candidate if worth their time — as staffing professionals, we unfortunately see candidates make common errors and missteps on a daily basis. Don’t ruin your chances of landing an interview by making a small, easily avoided mistake! Here are some basic, but often overlooked ways to be more professional and successful during the initial stages of your job search.
1. Use a professional and simple email address. Ditch any emails that don’t include your name, even if it has sentimental value, or even if it’s the one you’ve always used.
2. Have your voicemail set up! We cannot emphasize this enough. Even though many people prefer to text nowadays, it is imperative that you have your voicemail set up with a short personal greeting (no one likes an automated robot voice). And don’t forget to clear out your voicemail — if a hiring manager calls and your voicemail is full, they will move on to the next candidate.
3. Make sure there are zero errors on your resume, cover letter and application materials. This is one is pretty straightforward, but as a job seeker, it is vital to your success. Read everything out loud, and have a trusted editor look over your materials as well.
4. Manage your social media accounts responsibly, because chances are, employers will research you online. If you’re worried about any social media content you’ve posted in the past, make sure your accounts are private, and also think before you post!
5. Closely read and follow all directions on job applications. Even though applications can be tedious and take time (no one enjoys re-writing their entire work history), it’s often the first test for employers to make sure candidates can follow directions and have an attention to detail. Be thorough and take your time!
We guarantee if you stick to these basic tenets, you will increase your chances of getting a call back. Happy job hunting!